True worship is to work for justice
and care for the poor and oppressed.
Jesus proclaims his mission:
to bring good news to the poor and oppressed.
What you do for the least among you,
you do for Jesus.
How does God’s love abide in anyone
who has the world’s good
and sees one in need and refuses to help?
1 John 3:17-18
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is,
the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." ~John Kenneth Galbraith (1908-2006)
Bible Basics Custom Google Site Search!
If you have any difficulty in finding what you’re looking for
on this Bible Basics Site
use the “Bible Basics Custom Google Site Search”
on the top of every page!
The Rich Man and Lazarus
19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’
25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’
27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’
29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’
30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’
31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”
The Rich (Republican Party) believe their wealth and status qualifies them to sit
in judgement of the poor
rather than to assist them.
The Rich Man represents the Republican Top 2% and Lazarus represents the rest of us; the 98%.
No where in the Scripture of The Rich Man and Lazarus is there any indication that the “Rich Man” was responsible for Lazarus’ suffering.
The “Sin of the Rich Man“ was that suffering was just outside his “gate” but the Rich Man ignored the plight of the poor. He chose to be blind, not to see the suffering all around him.
Not only did the Rich Man refuse to see the problem;
he also refused to do anything about it.
The Rich Man was happy to live on an Island of
Self Indulgence and Comfort, while he was surrounded
by an Ocean of Poverty and Human Suffering.
The Lesson is that we need to always help the least of these the poor, the sick, the hungry, the oppressed, the most vulnerable people in our society.
What you do for the least among you, you do for Jesus.
Ignorance of what is going on around you is NOT a good Excuse!
When there is a Need; and when we Refuse to take Action in our hearts, our minds, our words, and in our deeds… we are sinning and we are Not being Responsible, Loving, Caring Christians!
Even in hell/Hades the Rich Man still believes that he is in charge giving orders and directions; he is expecting to be waited on. Yes, the “Rich” often expect to be waited on and they set themselves above other people in judgement.
More Scripture Lessons for the Rich
“You cannot serve both God and Money.”