What are the meanings and the significance
of the Star of Bethlehem?
Bible Basics Custom Google Site Search!
If you have any difficulty in finding what you’re looking for
on this Bible Basics Site
use the “Bible Basics Custom Google Site Search”
on the top of every page!
The Star of Bethlehem
The Visit of the Magi
1After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem 2and asked, "Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him."
3When King Herod heard this he was disturbed, and all Jerusalem with him. 4When he had called together all the people's chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Christ] was to be born. 5"In Bethlehem in Judea," they replied, "for this is what the prophet has written:
6" 'But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;
for out of you will come a ruler
who will be the shepherd of my people Israel.'"
7Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared. 8He sent them to Bethlehem and said, "Go and make a careful search for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him."
9After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen in the east went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was.
10When they saw the star, they were overjoyed.
11On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh.
12And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route.
We often overlook the importance, the meanings and metaphors of the “Star of Bethlehem. Think of the Star of Bethlehem as the loving, guiding “Light of God!”
Meanings of the Star of Bethlehem
The Light of God!
This is NOT an exhaustive list of the meanings of the Star of Bethlehem! As you read, what other meanings do YOU give to the Star of Bethlehem?
· The Star of Bethlehem is the “Light of God!”
· Signifies that Jesus is the “Light” that is coming into the world.
· Jesus is the “Light” of Salvation and Hope.
· Jesus is the “Light” unto the nations.
4 “Listen to me, my people;
hear me, my nation:
The law will go out from me; my justice will become a light to the nations.
5 My righteousness draws near speedily, my salvation is on the way,
and my arm will bring justice to the nations.
The islands will look to me
and wait in hope for my arm.
· Jesus is the “Light” unto the gentiles.
For this is what the Lord has commanded us: " 'I have made you a light for the Gentiles,
that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.'"
· We are called to be the “Children of Light” the “Adopted Children of God.”
For you were once darkness,
but now you are light in the Lord.
Live as children of light.
Living as Children of Light
17So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. 18They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. 19Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more.
20You, however, did not come to know Christ that way. 21Surely you heard of him and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. 22You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
25Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body. 26"In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27and do not give the devil a foothold. 28He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need.
29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
· Jesus is the “Light” in our darkness.
· Jesus is our guiding “Light.”
Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light for my path.
· Jesus is the guiding “Light” which shows us the Way.
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said,
"I am the light of the world.
Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness,
but will have the light of life."
· Jesus Christ is the loving “Light” that surrounds each of us everyday.
As you leave this place,
May the living Lord go with you.
May he go behind you, to encourage you,
Beside you, to befriend you in obedient ministry,
Above you, to watch over you,
Beneath you, to lift you from your sorrows,
Within you, to give you the gifts of faith, hope, and love,
And always before you… to show you the way.
And all God’s people said, Amen.
· Jesus Christ is the Love and Prevenient Grace which surrounds us all of the time!
· Jesus Christ is the “Search Light” that is always searching for us; looking for us.
· Jesus Christ is the “Light” that shows us the Way back home, the Way back to God, the Way for Forgiveness, and the Way for Salvation. Jesus Christ is the flickering “Light” of Hope that shines in the midst of our darkness! Jesus Christ is the LOVE that we can always return to.
· Jesus Christ is our “Night Light” in our darkness.
· Jesus Christ is the “Night Light” which is ALWAYS left on! Jesus Christ is the “Light” that NEVER goes out!
· Jesus Christ is our “Lighthouse” searching for us, seeking our return, shining the “Light” of Salvation for our return.
· Jesus Christ is our “Lighthouse” ever shining brightly, a beacon of “Light” showing us the WayWay back to the Father.
· Jesus Christ is the “Light” of revelation and wisdom.
· Jesus Christ is the “Light of Love” which burns brightly in our hearts – our “inner candles” of Faith, Hope, and Love.
· Jesus Christ is the “Light” our ever-present help in times of trouble, despair, and darkness.
Do not gloat over me, my enemy!
Though I have fallen, I will rise.
Though I sit in darkness,
the LORD will be my light.
23The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. 24The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. 25On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there.